Frequently Asked Questions

Q1: Is the application currently open for the Chicago Low-Income Housing Trust Fund Rental Subsidy Program (RSP)?

A: At this time our application is closed for adding new properties to the Rental Subsidy Program. When the application opens up enrollment, information will be posted on our website.

Q2:  Is there a list of Trust Fund subsidized properties that might have vacancies?

A: Yes, the most recent list may be found on the quarterly report page. Please click the most recent report.

Q3:  Are the subsidies property-based, or may a tenants take a subsidy with them when they move?

A:  The subsidies are property-based.  The Trust Fund signs a contract with the landlord, and the subsidies are deposited directly into the landlord’s account (or given to the landlord as a quarterly check, if that is preferred).  A tenant may not take the subsidy with them when they move, except in very limited circumstances.

Q4:  What are the limited circumstances under which a tenant might take a subsidy with them when they move?

A:  This will only be allowed where the tenant is moving because the landlord has stopped receiving Trust Fund subsidies for that tenant’s unit.  Typically, this will only occur when the Trust Fund is either temporarily or permanently ending its relationship with the landlord.  A tenant may never move while retaining the benefit of a subsidy unless they have received a letter from the Trust Fund expressly allowing them to do so, and to be eligible for such, the tenant must be in good standing on their current lease.

Q5:  What are a tenant’s options when the landlord chooses not to renew the tenant’s lease?

A:  Unless the Trust Fund is ending its relationship with that landlord, the tenant may not take a subsidy with them under these circumstances.  The tenant mayhowever, find a different, vacant, Trust Fund subsidized unit anywhere in the City, and apply directly to that unit’s landlord for a new tenancy.  Please note that acceptance by a past landlord does not guarantee acceptance by a future landlord.  Each landlord has the right to employ his/her own selection criteria, so long as the landlord is in compliance with the law.

Q6:  Do I, as a landlord, have to fill out the Lead-safe disclosure form every year, even if my building was built after 1978?

A:  Yes.

Q7:  How often do I, as a landlord, need to send in tenant income certifications?

A:  You must send in tenant income certifications every year when you renew your contract, every time a new tenant applies for a vacant unit, and every time a tenant’s household size or income changes.  For tenants who are applying for a Trust Fund subsidized unit, we strongly encourage you to send in the income certification and other relevant information prior to signing a lease with the tenant.  The Trust Fund will not subsidize units where the tenant is not income qualified.

Q8:  What should I do if my tenant is over the income restrictions when they report their income?

A:  You should tell the Trust Fund immediately.  The tenant will not be required to move; you will typically (unless the increase in income is very dramatic) still be eligible to receive 50% of the prior subsidy amount for that tenant for a period of one year, and the tenant would be expected to pay the remaining balance of the rent.

Q9:  How do I, as a landlord, request more units in my building?

A:  The Trust Fund is not currently accepting applications for new Rental Subsidy Program (RSP) units.  However, there are occasionally tenants who need to move, and special initiatives that the Trust Fund participates in, which allow us to add a few units each year.  If you are interested in hosting more Trust Fund units in an existing building, please advise your Trust Fund staff person of that fact, and they can let you know if and when the opportunity to add a unit becomes available.

Q10:  How many total Trust Fund subsidized units may I have in my building?

A:  The Trust Fund may only subsidize up to 30% of the units in any one building, unless that building is 6 or fewer units in size.  For buildings 6 or fewer in size, the Trust Fund is allowed to subsidize all of the units.

Q11: Why do I have to fill out a payment request every quarter to get paid?

A: Residents sometimes move in & out frequently, so a completion of the Payment/Voucher Reimbursement Request ensures that payments are made accurately for the appropriate subsidized unit(s).

Q12: When are the units inspected for Home Quality Standards (HQS)?

A: The inspection for existing landlords is annual or once a year. The Trust Fund tries to get the target date in our system routinely on the same month as the previous year. For new landlords the first inspection will conducted at the time of entry into the RSP program, then annually after that.

Q13: Where would I find city violations for my current property?


Q14: How can I get in contact with Bravura to schedule inspections?

A: Please call 312.922.6400.

Q15. Who is my staff person?

A: Please see your landlord portal members tab for your staff person.

Contact Form

15 + 7 =